What else to see and do?
Petco Park is the gem of downtown San Diego. But the beautiful city has plenty to offer beyond just a Padres baseball game. Whether you’re in town for a few days or a week, there are plenty of attractions to explore in and around the city. Here are some suggestions to help make your trip to San Diego a memorable one.
- Stuff your face with Mexican Food: San Diego is located just a short breeze from the Mexican border, and the city has some of the best Mexican food in the country. Visit Old Town to try some authentic Mexican cuisine and a taste of San Diego history. Venture deeper into the neighborhoods for the local spots with some of the best tacos, burritos, and enchiladas around. Or make an easy day trip across the border to Tijuana for a taste of Mexican culture, food, and shopping. More restaurant suggestions.
- Go to Balboa Park: Balboa Park is to arts and culture what Petco Park is to peanuts and Cracker Jack. Located right next to the San Diego Zoo, Balboa Park is home to numerous museums, gardens, and cultural institutions. Take a stroll through the beautiful gardens, visit the San Diego Museum of Art, or catch a show at the Old Globe Theatre.
- Hop On A Hop-On-Hop-Off Trolley Tour Really the best way to orient yourself with a a new city. Explore San Diego’s top 100 sites your own pace. A great value. Get details & tickets.
- Hit the Beaches: Some of the country’s best beaches are in San Diego, with miles and miles of coastline to choose from. Visit La Jolla Cove for some of the most stunning views in the city, or head to Coronado Beach to enjoy the pristine white sand.
- Visit the Breweries: San Diego has a thriving craft beer scene, with dozens of breweries located throughout the city. Take a brewery tour to sample some of the best local brews, or enjoy a pint at one of the many tasting rooms. Read more about nearby bars and breweries.
- Attend the San Diego County Fair: The San Diego County Fair is held June 7 to July 4 in Del Mar, just north of San Diego. The fair features a variety of exhibits, concerts, rides, and food vendors. The theme this year is Get Out There.
- Tour the USS Midway: The USS Midway Museum is located in downtown San Diego and is a great attraction for history buffs, military buffs and Tom Cruise buffs. The museum is housed on the decommissioned aircraft carrier USS Midway and offers visitors a chance to explore the ship and learn about its history.
- See the sights from the Cabrillo National Monument: Located at the southern tip of the Point Loma peninsula, the Cabrillo National Monument offers stunning views of the Pacific Ocean and the city of San Diego. It’s a little bit lighthouse, a little bit tide pools, and a whole lot of hiking trails in between.
- Play at the Children's Museum: Designed for the young ones, the New Children's Museum downtown offers a variety of interactive exhibits and programs designed for children of all ages. The museum's mission is to inspire imagination, creativity, and critical thinking in children through art, play, and exploration.
Neighborhoods for Shopping & Strolling
Pop on a ferry to Coronado
Who doesn’t love going out for breakfast
Depending on what time of year you are here, catch a Gulls
game. Or catch a round of golf
Catch A LiveShowRady’s Shell
Balboa Theatre or Civic Theatre
Some useful resources for anyone visiting San Diego:
Hotel Guide Hotel Map
Weather Petco Park Events Concerts
Padres Stadium Tours Public Transportation
San Diego has something for almost everyone. The list could go on and on. So, make the most of your time in this beautiful city and enjoy all that it has to offer beyond just the Padres baseball game at Petco Park.
Make the most of events and baseball games at San Diego's Petco Park. Join the conversation (@PetcoParkSD) or contact us about info posted on this website. For tickets and stadium experience inquiries, contact the Padres at 619–795–5000.
Petco Park Insider is independently operated and reader-supported, unaffiliated with the Padres organization or Petco Park. These pages contain affiliate links through which we may receive compensation from advertisers if you choose to purchase certain products, at no additional cost to you. It is paid by the advertisers and helps keep our site running. Thank you!