The unveiling of Snapdragon Stadium was met with almost universal praise for bringing contemporary stadium facilities with panoramic vistas to the San Diego community. However a conspicuous challenge for fans quickly revealed itself: the limited availability of shade.
Sun and Shade Dynamics
- The east side of the stadium is exposed to direct sunlight throughout the day.
- Sections in the west side experience shade in the afternoon due to the north-south orientation.
- End zones also fall under partial shade coverage, but with compromised viewing quality.
- Fans’ enjoyment is tempered by uneven exposure to sun and shade.
- Concourse and other public areas offer minimal escape opportunities with little relief to the masses.
Challenges and Concerns
- The glaring lack of shade raises concerns, especially during sweltering weather conditions.
- A notable incident in September 2022, when over a dozen attendees suffered heat-related illnesses during a game.
- The absense of canopies, more on that below
Why Are There No Canopies?
Cost is a major reason shade canopies were not part of the original design, at an estimate of $50 million to $100 million. It has been written that the stadium was designed with columns to incorporate canopies in the future, which would shelter fans from the sun and elements and maximize noise on the field. Some speculated this upgrade would coincide with the establishment of a MLS team in San Diego
, which is set to kick off in 2025. However there are no plans in the works to add canopies to Snapdragon Stadium at this time.
In The News: Can San Diego’s Snapdragon Stadium be a success without canopies for shade? Many critics questioned if the new stadium would be successful if people will actively avoid it whenever it gets hot. Read more…
Sun/Shade MapIn the summer, the sun is directly overhead throughout the day. As it passes over and behind the west side of the stadium, fans with seating in the west side sections of the stands will be shaded as well the end zones. In the end zones, shade will begin moving from west to east. Sections on the east side will remain in the sun, with, in some cases, the setting sun directly in the eyes of fans on the east side.
Strategies for Comfortable Spectating
Snapdragon Stadium’s allure is undeniable. However, the issue of limited shade poses a considerable challenge, particularly during the region’s extended periods of sunny, hot weather. Fans are advised to make strategic seating choices, prioritize personal sun protection, and adopt prudent measures to stay cool and comfortable throughout their stadium experience. As the stadium continues to host increasingly important sporting events, these insights will assist fans in maximizing their enjoyment while minimizing the impact of sun exposure.
- Choosing Seats Wisely: Opt for west side seating or end zones to avoid excessive sun exposure.
- Personal Sun Protection: Bring essentials like sunscreen, hats, and sunglasses to shield against UV rays.
- Hydration: Stay hydrated by consuming water throughout the event.
- Seeking Shade: Take breaks in shaded areas within the stadium to cool off.
- Apparel Choices: Wear loose-fitting, light-colored clothing to mitigate heat absorption.
- Limit Alcohol and Caffeine: Avoid these substances, as they can exacerbate dehydration.
- Awareness and Action: If discomfort arises, relocate to a cooler area or seek medical assistance promptly.
Sunset TimesIt can be helpful to know when the sun is setting in San Diego. Here are two sites that will give you specific timetable of when the sun rises and sets based on the zip code (92108) and the date of your event at Snapdragon: TimeandDate, Calendar-Updates, SunriseSunsetTime
Make the most of events and games at San Diego's Snapdragon Stadium. Please contact us about info posted on this website.
This section on Snapdragon is a sister project of Petco Park Insider, an independently operated and reader-supported guide, unaffilliated with Snapdragon or any sports organizations. These pages contain affiliate links so that we may receive compensation from our advertisers if you choose to purchase certain products, at no additional cost to you. It is paid by the advertisers and helps keep our site running.