Since Petco Park opened in 2004, the San Diego beer scene has exploded. Inside the park is no exception, with high octane hops washing away the leak-inducing legacy of watered-down domestics. For beer fans visiting San Diego Padres games, here’s our new guide to the craft beers and microbrews in and around Petco Park.
“Beer needs baseball, and baseball needs beer – it has always been thus.”
Local beers at Petco Park
Let’s face it—this is the star lineup at Padres stadium. Here’s the beer list of San Diego’s best local breweries on tap and in bottles at Petco.
- Stone Levitation, Stone Pale Ale, Stone IPA, Cali-Belgique IPA, Ruination IPA, Arrogant Bastard Ale, Drew & Steve’s Imperial Mutt Brown Ale, Stone Reason Be Damned Belgian Style Abbey Ale
- Ballast Point Big Eye IPA, Ballast Point Black Marlin, Ballast Point Pale Ale, Ballast Point Calico Amber Ale, Ballast Point Longfin Lager, Ballast Point Wahoo Wheat, Ballast Point Fathom IPL, Ballast Point Piper Down, Grunion Pale Ale, Sculpin IPA (in cans! 20 oz for $10.75) and Grapefruit Sculpin, Dorado Double IPA, Commodore American Stout, Indra Kunindra
- Pizza Port Ponto Session IPA, Swamis IPA, Chronic Amber Ale, Pick Six Pilsner and Petco Park Pale Ale
- Mike Hess Habitus Double IPA, Jucundus Orange Honey Wheat, Grazias Vienna Cream Ale, Claritas Kolsch, Habitus, Venator
< > Karl Strauss Red Trolley Ale, Karl Strauss Amber, Karl Strauss IPA, Karl Strauss Pintail Pale, Karl Strauss Tower 10 IPA, Mosaic Session Ale, Wreck Alley Imperial Stout
- Alesmith Nut Brown Ale, Alesmith X Extra Pale Ale, Alesmith Anvil Ale, Speedway Stout, San Diego Pale Ale .394 (for Tony Gwynn’s famous batting average)
- Mission Blonde, Mission Amber Ale, Mission Hefeweizen, Mission IPA, Shipwrecked, Dark Seas
- Manzanita Riverwalk Blonde
- Lightning Thunderweizen, Lightning Elemental Pilsner, Lightning Lightning Fair Weather Pale Ale, Lightning Amber Ale
- Port Brewing Wipeout IPA
- Black Market Bavarian Style Hefeweizen, Black Market Brown Ale
- Coronado Golden, Coronado Mermaids Red, Coronado Orange Wit, Coronado Islander IPA
- Saint Archer Blonde Ale, Saint Archer IPA, Saint Archer Pale Ale, Saint Archer White Ale
- Lost Abbey Devotion
- Mother Earth Pin Up Pale Ale
How much does beer cost
In most places, a craft beer will run you $11.50, although at times as much as $15.25 for 24 ounces. You can find some economies if you hunt around the stadium.
Other notable brews
Beyond the usual beer-commercial ballpark swill, you’ll find these delicious alternatives waiting for you inside Padres stadium
- Pyramid (Seattle)
- Anderson Valley (California)
- Firestone Walker (California)
- Kona Longboard and Kona Fire Rock (Hawaii)
- Goose Island (Chicago)
- Sierra Nevada (California)
- Knee Deep (California)
- Widmer (Portland)
- Leinenkugel’s Summer (Wisconsin)
- Third Shift & Batch 19 (Coors / Colorado)
- Victoria, Pacifico, Montejo, Negra Modelo (Mexico)
- Stella Artois (Belgium)
The usual beer-commerical ballpark swill
Someone’s got to keep the urinal cake companies in business.
- Premium beer like Coors Light, Budweiser & Bud Light (No more Miller Lite)
Gluteus Minimus – Gluten-Free Beer
Ask around for the location of the gluten-free cart. It’s return is perpetually in jeopardy due to a minimum of demand but among their gluten-free food options
you’ll find Redbridge Gluten-Free Beer! It’s an American amber-red lager.
Essential stops inside the stadium
- Craft Beers of San Diego, located in sections 109, 213, and 301, feature San Diego craft beers exclusively.
- Brickhouse Deli is closed, formerly home of the deepest bottle selection inside the park. You can find beloved beerman Neil pouring over at Stone (@neilthebeerman)
- Hodad’s. Now with Ballast Point on tap.
- The new Stone Brewery on the upper deck and the Ballast Point Beer Garden on the Toyota Terrace (second) level
- The Kona Cove featuring Kona Brewing Company’s Liquid Aloha in a Hawaiian-themed environment
- Karl Strauss Trolleys – Field level
- Pizza Port, the new addition with five locations around the diamond. Grab and guzzle their proprietary Petco Park Pale Ale
Essential stops outside the stadium
If you are visiting Petco Park and love beer, plan on spending some extra time at these places near the ballpark
- Mission Brewery, located just steps from Petco Park is always open before and after home games. Ask about their take-out recyclable plastic growlers for tailgating
- Neighborhood, 777 G St. for great selection of local beers
- Monkey Paw, 805 16th St. New and instantly legendary pub with great craft brew list.
- Brand new Stone Brewing Tap Room
- Yardhouse, 1023 4th St. Something like 100 beers on tap
- Bottlecraft, about a mile north in Little Italy, is a friendly boutique beer shop that serves host San Diego’s best craft brews along with an expertly curated selection of 500 bottles from the rest of the world.
- Bub’s, a good compromise between sports bar and good beer
- Full list of nearby bars
Annual Beer Events during baseball season
is held twice this year. Also June is Craft Beer Month in San Diego.
We welcome your feedback
. Please share this guide!
Petco Park Insider is your guide to enjoying games in San Diego at the Padres baseball stadium. Please join the conversation on Twitter @PetcoParkSD or contact us at Petco Park Insider.
You may also enjoy: