Since Petco Park opened in 2004, the San Diego beer scene has exploded. Inside the park is no exception, with high octane hops washing away the leak-inducing legacy of watered-down corporate domestics. For beer fans visiting San Diego Padres games, here’s our new guide to the craft beers and microbrews in and around Petco Park.
“Beer needs baseball, and baseball needs beer – it has always been thus.”
The most popular beer at Petco Park without question: San Diego Pale Ale .394 Made by thunderously popular local brewer Alesmith in honor of one of the Padres’ all time greats, Tony Gwynn, the beer is named for the legend’s highest batting average achieved, .394 in the Padres 1994 season. The beer is a deliciously drinkable Pale Ale with light bitterness and accentuated hoppiness. And a portion of proceeds go to the Tony and Alicia Gwynn Foundation (TAG). A definite must-try at Petco Park. If you are looking for .394, try Club .394 at Section 217, Board & Brew, and Wonderland.
Local beers at Petco Park
Let’s face it—this is the star lineup at Padres stadium. Here’s the beer list of San Diego’s best local breweries that have been sighted on tap and in bottles and cans at Petco.
- Stone Brewing (Escondido) Stone Delicious IPA, Stone IPA, Stone Ruination Double IPA, Stone Tangerine Express IPA
- Ballast Point Ballast Point Big Eye, Ballast Point Bonito Blonde, Ballast Point Calico California Amber Ale, Ballast Point California Kolsch, Ballast Point Calm Before Storm, Ballast Point Dorado Double IPA, Ballast Point Even Keel Mango, Ballast Point Fathom, Ballast Point Grapefruit Sculpin, Ballast Point Grunion Pale Ale, Ballast Point Longfin Lager, Ballast Point Manta Ray, Ballast Point Pineapple Sculpin, Ballast Point Sea Rose, Ballast Point Sculpin, Ballast Point Wahoo White, Ballast Point Watermelon Dorado
- Pizza Port Brewing Co. Pizza Port Chronic Ale, Pizza Port Kook, Pizza Port Grand View Golden, Pizza Port Pick Six, Pizza Port Ponto, Pizza Port Swamis, Pizza Port Wipeout IPA
- Mike Hess Brewery Mike Hess 8 West Orange Honey Wheat, Mike Hess Claritas Kolsch, Mike Hess Coffee Grazias, Mike Hess Grapefruit Solis IPA, Mike Hess Habitus Double IPA, Mike Hess Hoptuitus IPA, Mike Hess My Other Vice, Mike Hess Solis IPA Karl Strauss Karl Strauss Aurora Hoppyalis IPA, Karl Strauss Big Barrel Double IPA, Karl Strauss Mosaic Session Ale, Karl Strauss Red Trolley Ale, Karl Strauss Tower 10 IPA, Karl Strauss Wreck Alley Imperial Stout
- Alesmith Alesmith .394 Pale Ale, Alesmith IPA, Alesmith Nut Brown, Alesmith Spezial Pils, Alesmith X Extra Pale Ale
- Mission Brewery Mission Amber Ale, Mission Blonde Ale, Mission Hefeweizen, Mission IPA, Mission Shipwrecked Double IPA and Hard Root Beer
- Resident Brewing Co.Resident Chasing Citra Single Hop IPA, Resident Perky Blonde, Resident Urbanite, Resident Vacation Coconut IPA
- Belching Beaver Brewery (Vista) Belching Beaver Me So Honey, Belching Beaver Peanut Butter Milk Stout
- Iron Fist Brewing Co. (Vista) Iron Fist Counter Strike IPA, Iron Fist Nelson the Impaler, Iron Fist Renegade Blonde, Iron Fist Velvet Grove Imperial Oatmeal Stout
- Manzanita Riverwalk Blonde
- Lightning Thunderweizen, Lightning Elemental Pilsner, Lightning Lightning Fair Weather Pale Ale, Lightning Amber Ale
- Port Brewing Wipeout IPA, Shark Attack Double Red
- Black Market Bavarian Style Hefeweizen, Black Market Brown Ale
- Coronado Brewing Co. Coronado Islander IPA, Coronado Mermaid’s Red, Coronado Orange Avenue Wit
- Alpine Beer Company (Vista) Alpine Duet, Alpine Windows Up India Pale Ale
- Saint Archer Blonde Ale, Saint Archer IPA, Saint Archer Pale Ale, Saint Archer White Ale
- Lost Abbey Devotion
- Mother Earth Pin Up Pale Ale
- New English Pure and Simple IPA
- Fall Brewing Company (North Park) Loudspeaker IPA, Spirit of 77 IPA
- Monkey Paw Up The Hill Backwards, Prima Donna Table Beer
- Benchmark Brewing Company Table Beer
- Golden Road (Los Angeles) Point The Way IPA
Did we mess up? This stuff changes quick. Help us stay current
Beer Prices: How much does beer cost at Petco Park?
In most places, a craft beer will run you
$13.50, although a 22 oz local brew at Craft Beers of San Diego will set you back $16. You can find some economies if you hunt around the stadium.
Other notable brews
Beyond the usual beer-commercial ballpark swill, these delicious alternatives have been found inside Padres stadium
- Elysian Brewing Company (Seattle), including Blood Orange Pale Ale, Dayglow, Space Dust IPA and The Immortal
- Firestone Walker (California)
- Kona (Hawaii)
- Four Peaks (Tempe AZ)
- Goose Island (Chicago)
- Sierra Nevada (California)
- Knee Deep (California)
- Widmer (Portland)
- 10 Barrel (Bend Oregon)
- Leinenkugel’s Summer (Wisconsin)
- Third Shift & Batch 19 (Coors / Colorado)
- Golden Road (Los Angeles)
- Estrella Jalisco, Pacifico, Montejo, Negra Modelo (Mexico)
- Stella Artois (Belgium)
The usual beer-commerical ballpark swill
Someone’s got to keep the urinal cake companies in business.
- Premium beer like Budweiser, Bud Light, Shock Top, Corona
Redbridge Gluten Free Beer
You can find this pretty tasty gluten-free beer, an American amber-red lager, all over the park. If your stuck, head to Seaside Market on the Field level.
Essential stops inside the stadium
- Craft Row – in the Main Concourse area behind home plate, featuring carts from a lineup that rivals the Padres themselves: Stone, Mission, Ballast Point, Mike Hess Brewing and Karl Strauss.
- Craft Pier presented by Ballast Point, in the outfield, is a must-see. Craft Pier was previously the home of The Beach and has been remodeled to offer great views and great brews.
- Craft Beers of San Diego, located in sections 105, 215, 229, 303 and 328, feature San Diego craft beers exclusively.
- Brickhouse Deli closed years ago, formerly home of the deepest bottle selection inside the park. You can find beloved beerman Neil pouring over at Stone (@neilthebeerman). The space is now devoted to Mission Brewery
- Hodad’s. Now with Ballast Point on tap.
- Ballast Point Beer Garden on the Toyota Terrace (second) level
- Karl Strauss Trolleys – Field level
- Pizza Port, with five locations around the diamond. Grab and guzzle their proprietary Petco Park Pale Ale
Craft Pier at Petco Park
Essential stops outside the stadium
If you are visiting Petco Park and love beer, plan on spending some extra time at these places near the ballpark
- Mission Brewery, located just steps from Petco Park is always open before and after home games. Ask about their take-out recyclable plastic growlers for tailgating
- Neighborhood, 777 G St. for great selection of local beers
- Monkey Paw, 805 16th St. New and instantly legendary pub with great craft brew list.
- Stone Brewing Tap Room
- Bottlecraft, about a mile north in Little Italy, is a friendly boutique beer shop that serves host San Diego’s best craft brews along with an expertly curated selection of 500 bottles from the rest of the world.
- Bub’s, a good compromise between sports bar and good beer
- Full list of nearby bars
Annual Beer Events during baseball season
is held multiple times throughout the year. Also June is Craft Beer Month in San Diego.
We welcome your feedback
. Please share this guide!
Petco Park Insider is your guide to enjoying games in San Diego at the Padres baseball stadium. Please join the conversation on Twitter @PetcoParkSD or contact us at Petco Park Insider.
You may also enjoy: